Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Arrived

I've arrived in Japan safe and sound! Right now, I don't have much to report. I'm hoping to get some pictures soon, but I'm not sure when that will be.

Just a few first impressions before I leave.
1. Japan is a beautiful country. There's nothing like seeing the rice paddies. The countryside easily rivals any other places I've visited.
2. From what I've seen so far, the city is extremely clean, especially considering the age of a place like Tokyo.
3. All that being said, Japan easily has the worst humidity I've ever had the misfortune to experience. There's something wrong with walking outside and feeling like you're covered in sweat instantly. At the same time though, you aren't really sure how much you're sweating, and how much is just the ridiculous amount of moisture in the air.
4. People-watching here is fun. It's interesting to see people walking around looking like they were taken right out of some pop star fashion magazine. With all due respect though, I'm enjoying it. I love casual clothing as much as anyone else, but it is kind of nice to see people a little dressed up in a way.
5. Sunrise and sunset. Sunrise here is about 4:30 in the morning. I woke up thinking I'd slept till noon, and it was only 7:00. Sunset is also very early, around 6:00. When I woke up from my overcome-jetlag nap, I thought I'd slept till midnight because it was so dark, but it was only about 6:45.
6. One of the most amazing things I've noticed so far is how quiet it is here. Don't get me wrong. In the main part of the city, there's definitely noise, but it's much quieter than most of the big cities I've been to. You have millions of people here, and at the moment, it's completely quiet. It's a pleasant surprise.

Till next time!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment