Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Of NHK

So over the past couple months, I've been visited been NHK three times. NHK is the Japanese national broadcasting company. It's a public company, and they easily have the pushiest staff I've ever met in Japan. A typical visit from NHK begins with the sound of your doorbell. Pin-pon. Thinking that it could be anyone, you pick up the intercom. You're already doomed.

At first, the NHK people seem really nice. "I'm from NHK," they explain. "I've come to talk about the broadcasting fee and your contract." I thought that was awful curious because I have no TV. When I explained that this, the staff was literally dumbfounded. "How can you have no TV? You must have a TV." I told him I have no TV, and that I do not have time to watch TV. Although doubtful, he left me alone.

I received another visit about two weeks later. The fact that it's always a different person makes NHK difficult to deal with. This person was just as pushy, insisting that I was required to pay by law. When I asked him how I could pay for something that I cannot receive, he became confused. I explained to him that I told his coworker two weeks ago that I did not have a TV. He took about 10 minutes to explain that I must immediately pay him once I get a TV.

So, what's with this? This is a public television company, but acts like a scamming company. The reason for this, is that from what I understand, NHK cannot turn off its services. Anyone can receive NHK as long as they have a TV equipped to receive broadcast services. Due to recent scandals, some people have refused to pay, which has resulted in some lawsuits forcing them to pay for the services that they receive. Regardless of whether or not they watch NHK has no bearing on the payment. You have a TV; you can receive NHK. Therefore, you must pay for NHK.

Honestly, it seems like a rather ridiculous system. They company should have a way of turning off its services to those who do not watch to watch. Since the government has a strong influence over the company though, this isn't possible.

Why is NHK important, you might ask. NHK has no commercials, and it is a frequent source of the news. During 3/11, I watched NHK in my dorm in Kyoto. NHK broadcasted in Japanese, English, and I think Mandarin as well.  It provided the most up to date news, which is why people watched it.

For those reading this blog who live in Japan, there is no way to avoid paying the fee unless you do not own a TV. Even then, you will have to convince NHK of this, which from my own experience so far has been pretty futile. I'll just continue to tell a new person every week that I don't have a TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment