Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kansai-ben

I apologize for the delay. I've been busy with other things, which has kind of prevented me from updating this, but I'll make it up to you. I promise.

Today's topic is the Kansai dialect, 関西弁(Kansai-ben). Kansai is the Western region of Japan. It's composed of places like 大阪 (Osaka) and 京都 (Kyoto). Kansai-ben is thought to sound funny, more open, and perhaps a little rude to non-speakers of the dialect. In contrast, we also have 関東弁 (Kanto-ben). Kanto is the Eastern region of Japan. Mainly, we think of this as standard Japanese. It's spoken in 東京 (Tokyo), on the news stations, and taught around the world. Tokyo-ben (the dialect specific to Tokyo) is thought to sound too polite, monotone, and robotic to non-speakers. These are just two of the main dialects though.  So, now that we've got the history pinned down, we could move on to the fun stuff. I'd promised little language tips every now and then. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert on the Kansai dialect. I am definitely still learning it, but these are just a few observations.

Kansai-ben differs from Tokyo-ben in its choice of words. For example, we have the word アカン (akan) in Kansai-ben. This means approximately "no good" or "hopeless" or just plain "wrong." The Tokyo-ben equivalent is だめ (dame). We also see the word アホ (aho) pretty commonly in Kansai-ben. It's meaning is "idiot" or "fool." In Tokyo-ben, you would say バカ (baka). Some others that are different include ほんま(に) (honma(ni)) in Kansai-ben and ほんとう(に) (hontou(ni)) in standard Japanese for "really." めちゃ (mecha) versus とても/チョウ (totemo/chou) for "very," and おおきに (ookini) instead of ありがとう (arigatou) for "thank you."

Occasionally, some words are also shortened. For example, 面白い(おもしろい) (interesting) becomes おもろい in Kansai-ben. 違う(ちがう)(chigau) becomes ちゃう (chau) for the word "wrong."

Conjugations are also a little different. 食べない(たべない), "I did not eat," becomes たべへん (tabehen). だ (da), the shortened form of です (desu) meaning "to be" becomes や (ya).

Kyoto, like all cities, also has its own particular form of the dialect. In Kyoto, people tend to add -haru to their verbs to make them a little more polite. For example, 行きます(いきます) (ikimasu), "I'll go" becomes 行かはる (いかはる)(ikaharu).

Of course, please keep in mind this is all just an overview of the Kansai dialect. This by no means includes everything. People have written books on the topic, and this is only a measly little post, but hopefully it was of some interest to you. In order to fully learn the Kansai dialect though, you have to just listen to the people around you and repeat what they're saying. After all, since each city is different, if you're not careful, you still won't sound like a local.

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Hey great post! I'm a Kansai-ben fan as well.

    I made some kansai-ben lessons here.
    http://www.japannewbie.com/2006/04/09/kansai-ben-lesson-1-そら/

    Also check our our Kansai-ben iPhone App if you're interested! ほんますごいで〜。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Harvey. I appreciate the link. I'll definitely check it out for clarification. For new phrases and such though, I think I'll stick to listening to people. I'd like to sound like I'm from Kyoto after all. :)

    ReplyDelete