Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Of Bank Transfers and Konbini Clerks

So, today I have some wonderful stories for you all. Today, we are not going to talk about tests or homework or any depressing news about tensions between China and Japan. Nope, none of that. Today, we're talking about awesome storytime. It's been a a while since we've had storytime, so now's the time.

One. Bank transfer. That's right. I see your face; you're like, "Oh no, Michelle. Please let's not talk about that. That's horrible and boring." But you're wrong. It's exciting. So I tried to transfer money today, but it ends up you can't do online transfers to other international accounts. International companies don't like that very much. And it's pretty much impossible either way since they don't have ABA numbers. So here's how it went. I called up Bank X today in the States, on my Japanese phone. Which honestly, normally it'd be free since it's a toll-free number, but I called after 9:00 my time, which is when Softbank starts charging me for phone calls, so we'll see how that goes, but that's beside the point. I called up Bank X. Nice support person, Josh, answered the phone.

"Hello, this is Josh. How can I help you?"

"Hey Josh, this is Michelle. I'm wanting to transfer to a foreign account, but they don't seem to have an ABA number. Can you lend me a hand?"

Well, Josh of course wanted my last name, because it's blasphemous for him to call me by my first name, but I'm a funny sort of gal, and I like being on a first-name basis. So, I told him how to pronounce my last name, and then promptly told him that I'm young and prefer him to call me by my given name. Luckily, Josh is a young sort of guy too. So we of course struck up a wonderful conversation.

Josh needed to research a bit to figure out how to solve my problem. While he did that, we made small talk. He apparently had used one of those McDonald's cups and sliced his finger open on the lid. It was unfortunate, and he had to get 9 stitches. So, not only did I get my question eventually answered, but I had a great talk with Josh from Bank X, which I would just like to say is the best bank ever. By the way, for those of you wanting the answer, apparently doing a cash advance from your checking account (NOT credit) is free of charges from Bank X, so I can get funds cheaply. Score.

Two. I went to the konbini the other day, which I'm thinking I might have to start making a label for konbini soon, cause I seem to have written about them a lot. Anyway, I walked into the konbini yesterday and tried to ask about paying my health insurance but I couldn't remember the word for health insurance bill, so instead I made up some nonsense. Of course, the lady I was with had no idea what I was saying, but luckily, there was a guy there who after giving me about 20 example words, finally figured out what I meant. And he was so happy. Today, I went back, and he instantly recognized me. So I bought some dinner and mentioned I wanted to pay my health insurance, using the correct word this time, and he was so excited. So yes, I'm starting to make friends with the konbini people. Friends of course need names though, so I've named him too. His name is Kurosawa 黒澤, written with the kanji for black and swamp. So hereafter, if you hear me refer to Kurosawa, please keep in mind it's the konbini person.

Later!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment