Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Japanese Cell Phones

So we already covered that I got a cell phone a while ago. I think you all should remember this. Anyway, the reason for this post is because somehow we've gone this long without me giving you a description of the cell phones here. Japanese cell phones are pretty interesting actually. The smartphone is just starting to catch on in the market here, but it isn't huge yet. This is mostly due to the price of data here. Anyway, this post will contain some useful tips for those of you looking to get a phone over here and some normal shenanigans.

So, let's get some of the basics covered. You're coming to Japan, you want a phone. Good for you. You go into Softbank, au, or Docomo and buy your phone. If you're doing prepaid, it doesn't really matter where you go. If you're doing contract though, the prices do vary by company. If you want that sort of info, feel free to leave me a message or such and I'll do my best to answer those questions. For the sake of time, we'll continue. Before you choose any plan or anything else, you should understand one thing. In order to get a phone in Japan, you need your alien registration card. Without it, you can't get a phone. Promise. Secondly, you don't pay for the phone in Japan. You pay for the charger and you pay your plan. There is no paying for the phone. That means that you just choose one you like off the wall.

Also, texting is not like texting in the US or some other countries. You "text" to e-mails here. Each phone has an e-mail. You text to that. So, that means that you can e-mail without having internet on your plan. Confusing, but it's important to understand.

Now, you've gotten your phone. Cool. If you were lucky and went with a bunch of friends, or people you just claim as friends, you get some cool coupons sometimes. In my case, I got possibly the best coupon ever. My coupon offers me a choice. It states, "Please call this number and choose either 5 months free or a stuffed animal." Yes, I'm not joking. 5 months free on your contract OR a stuffed animal. Personally, I want to know who chooses that stuffed animal. What stuffed animal is equivalent to 5 months free?

Japanese phones are equipped with all sorts of cool gadgets. Read books on your phone, surf the web, etc. Put your info in your phone: e-mail (texting), address, birthday, name, and so on. All phones have a cool little infrared sensor. Turn that on and have your friend turn theirs on too, and you can exchange all of that information in seconds instead of having to type it again. How efficient!

Personally though, my favorite addition is the wealth of emoticons available. These are hysterical. There's everything from your standard happy and sad face to pictures of penguins, whales, hamburgers, sake, and octopus. My phone (a basic phone) has 15 pages of them. And I know what you're thinking, "When is someone possibly going to use all these? A penguin?!" But you know what? I use them all the time. It's really funny actually. I send my friends a text like, "Hey. Let's meet up for lunch. How about by the benches?" And I get a text back with something like "Sure *picture of scarf*." And I think to myself, "What on earth is that scarf for? I mean really. Is that scarf a sign that they think it's cold? It's like 40 degrees Celsius out here. Maybe it means that they really want to eat lunch? Maybe it means it's a bad time for them?" Honestly, I'm not sure, but after asking myself about a dozen questions, I've just given up trying to understand it. I've even adopted the practice as some sort of strange conformity thing. I'm sending pictures of octopuses (octopii?) like there's no tomorrow.

Well, it's late! Take care all! *scarf*

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment