Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Of Christmas & New Years Part II

Well, it's that's time again. The time when I keep my promise and write part II of my adventures over the holidays. Because I'm supposed to be studying for a test, writing essays, and preparing for exams, and instead I'm procrastinating with this blog, you all should feel very special. No worries, don't feel guilty. Just special. I'm enjoying the procrastination as much as you are.

December 31st, also known as New Year's Eve, is a pretty relaxed day in Japan. People continue to make their New Year's foods, osechi-ryouri (おせち料理), but these are just the final preparations. Once the clock hits about 8 or so, the real fun begins. I can only really describe it as in the States during the Macy's Day Parade on on New Year's when we sometimes have singers as they count down to the New Year, there's that sort of thing here. Put on by NHK, top singers from around the country are invited. Depending on their gender, they are put into either the red (female) or white (male) team. They then compete with their top song of the year, and people vote for one or the other at the end. The event, which is called Kouhaku (紅白), goes on until 11:45. Almost everyone watches it, and although there are times when you're sleepy, I admit that it is pretty fun.

At 11:45, all programs switch to the New Year's celebrations, which means that they go to temples and such. At midnight, bells around the city can be heard. These bells, which will be rung 108 times to signify the 108 earthly temptations/desires that one must overcome in order to reach nirvana (enlightenment) in Buddhism. It's tradition at this time to all get back in normal clothes, and trek to the neighborhood shrine. Once there, you make an offering and a wish/prayer for the new year. (At this point, I was the only foreigner in the temple, so it was a little interesting.) After this, a nice gentleman walks up and hands you amazake (甘酒), literally "sweet sake/rice wine." It's called sweet for a reason, and I don't recommend drinking a lot of it, but somehow I seem to have had 3 to 4 glasses of it that night. Luckily, it's not very strong, so there were no bad effects. Amazake is only drunk at the New Year though, so families will make their own, and you end up drinking a ton of the stuff. When you're done drinking amazake, or maybe while you're drinking amazake, you eat soba (おそば), which is a type of thin noodle. On New Year's Day though, it's called toshikoshisoba (年越しそば), literally "End of the Year Soba."

The next day, you wake up and deliver a round of "Happy New Year!" (明けましたおめでとうございます) to everyone you meet. You partake in a little bit of sake, literally a drop, giving thanks and welcoming the New Year. At this point, we went to another shrine and took some arrows with us. Used to ban evil from the household, you throw these away and get new ones for the new year. We also got omikuji (おみくじ), which is a sort of fortune. They can either be good or bad. If they're good, you take them home with you. If they're bad, you tie them to a tree or rope and leave them there so you won't bring the bad luck home with you.

After we returned home, we finished preparations and then ate dinner with the extended family. It was a great night, and I seem to remember more amazake, sake, whiskey, wine, and beer being passed around. Otoshidama (お年玉) was also given, which translates as a New Year's monetary gift that you give children.

In the next few days, we went to Kawasaki Daishi (川崎大師), a really famous temple. We ate dinner off the street vendors there, and I got to have my favorite baby castella (べービーカステル) for dessert. Taisuke bought them for me, and I got an entire bag for only 500 yen! It was the best 500 yen a person has ever spent. I don't need nice things, just baby castella for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I was pretty stuffed at this point, so I ate a few and put the rest inside my jacket for future snacking. Some people hide keys or rings or useful things in their breasts. I hide baby castella. Every five minutes, I'd unzip my coat, take them out, and eat one. Then, I'd put them back where they'd be nice and warm. I got some strange looks from the Japanese people around me, but it was worth it. They just didn't understand my joy.

Finally, we went to the Rice Bowl, which is the biggest football event in Japan. The top university team plays against the top company team. The company teams are basically the Japanese equivalent of the NFL. This year it was Ritsumeikan Panthers against the Obic Seagulls. The Seagulls won, but it was still a lot of fun.

We also went to DisneySea, which is the only DisneySea in the world. It's owned by a Japanese company actually, and everything is centered around the volcano in the middle. It's not so much focused on the rides as it is the scenery, so we had a great time.

I should probably get back to studying, so I'll update again another time.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment