Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Of an "Aftershock"

Japan has been experiencing hundreds of aftershocks since the big quake. Many of them are strong, rivaling what we could call simply another earthquake. Today's hit near Iwaki city which is in Fukushima prefecture, registering at a 7.1. For those up in Touhoku, it's impossible to imagine what they could be going through. Power is being restored, but these quakes keep knocking it out. Some people, sick of being in the evacuation centers, are trying to return to their homes. When they do so though, they're finding even simple life is difficult. Without electricity and running water, they can't really cook their food or a number of other things. I read an article the other day which was talking about a woman who is living in her house, and she talks about how much things have changed. She also mentioned how little luxuries like clean underwear are provided at the evacuation centers, but not necessarily in her home anymore since she's unable to do laundry. People are worrying about health issues.

I watched the news today when the aftershock hit, and I have to say it looked a bit end-of-the-world-ish. The sky was dark, even though it was still fairly early in the evening. It looked like the camera honestly was being shaken by someone. It's hard to imagine the entire ground moving while buildings sway on top. It was lightning and promptly began pouring. I'm honestly wondering how much these plates have moved. A tsunami warning was given, but it's only a meter, so it should be lifted soon if it hasn't been already. I admit, I haven't checked since I live on a plateau between mountains and a 1 meter really shouldn't do that much damage.

I think some schools were planning to resume school today in Miyagi prefecture, but I'm not sure if they did or not.

The evacuation zone was extended to 30 km. No worries, it's still far away, and I think that a significant number of people had already evacuated.

The nuclear reactors were not hurt in the quake. They remain in their current state.

Classes were good today. I had Comprehensive as well as Listening & Speaking. We just talked about hanami, earthquakes, and the nuclear situation. It was more interesting than learning about what we were supposed to learning about. And since my class was only 4 today, it was easily manipulated.

In good news, I'm going to Tokyo this Friday! I'll get to see Tai and his family, and just overall have a good time. I bought my Shinkansen ticket the other day. I'm so excited.

Source:
Japan expands nuclear evacuation zone as new quake hits (Reuters)

No comments:

Post a Comment