Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Apartment Round-Up

I'm planning to make an apartment decision tomorrow. The realtor worked hard to find me a couple other apartments to compare with, so I will look and make a decision afterwards. Even after I make a decision, it will take approximately a week to complete all of the necessary paperwork to move in. I've already offered to start paying rent to the family here, but they insist that I take my time and make a proper decision. I truly am blessed to have found such wonderful people no matter where I go in the world.

I visited the one apartment I'm interested in again today. I'm thinking I'll take the loft apartment if I don't see something I like better tomorrow. I'd like the space, and I might just put a little roll-out futon up there to sleep, leaving the main room for clothing and a table. I discovered that both apartments have a small balcony today, which is great. I can dry clothes!

I also went to the Company today to try to find the way there and to properly introduce myself. I went with Tai's mother, because she's already learned I have no sense of direction. Those who know me here have changed my surname to Maigo (meaning a lost/stray child). Not surprisingly, even with his mother we got hopelessly lost and asked the local fire station and a dry-cleaning shop for directions. The Company is located in Ebisu, which is a very nice business district located in Shibuya, Tokyo. The area has tons of restaurants, some famous. It is popular for Yebisu (pronounced Ebisu) Garden, which is a popular drinking area. Sapporo's headquarters are located here. Before anyone gets the idea I'm focused on alcohol here, I want to mention that this is the first thing people comment about when I work in Ebisu. It truly is a nice area though, and it has lots of fun little shops. I look forward to looking through them whenever I'm not in work.

After having been here already for study abroad, there is very little about Japan that surprises me now. I normally just accept everything I see. I don't always understand it, but I accept it. Today, I had a rare "only-in-Japan" moment. I was watching a informational show, where a popular actor goes around and tries lots of food from famous local shops and he went into a shop that specializes in sushi. Not just any sushi though. It's understandable that you want to have the freshest fish possible, so special shops will let you choose your fish, and then make your meal appropriately. In this episode, the actor chose squid (ika). As the chef plunged his hand into the tank to catch the squid barehanded, a familiar song began playing. I've never thought of the song "Dude Looks Like a Lady" applying to catching squid Mr. Miyagi-style, but it was oddly catchy.

I'm off to go eat some eel (unagi) now.

No comments:

Post a Comment