Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Apartment Search - Cont.

I have not yet decided on an apartment due to a number of reasons. The first of which is that I have had landlords refuse to let me sign because I do not yet have the Japanese equivalent of a green card. This is regardless of the fact that I require a permanent address in order to apply for the foreigner identification card (gaikokujin-tourokusho). This has severely limited the number of apartments that I am able to look at.

A majority of foreigners live in West-Shinjuku in Tokyo. Oftentimes, these landlords do not require one to have a foreigner ID, but the area is not as safe. In the case of the apartments that will let me rent from them, I have to prove that I am a valid member of society. Owners are concerned that foreigners will hold large parties in the apartments and will disturb other residents. These residents would then move out. The other concern is that the company is not valid and the person is in Japan illegally.

In order to prove my validity, I require a couple things. The first is a guarantor. This person is a native Japanese who makes over a set income level. This is the same as the United States. If you fail to pay, this person will assume responsibility. In my case, I will not ask this of my guarantor. The second is proof that I hold a position in a company. I already have the first and my company is trying to take care of the second on my behalf.

I am currently trying to determine if the apartment that I am interested in is price negotiable. I have given the realtor (fudousanya) a deadline of Friday (tomorrow), to find me another place or I will sign with the interested place. Even if I sign a contract immediately though, I likely wouldn't be able to move in for a few more days. I need electricity, water, gas, and internet. The latter seems unimportant until you consider I currently don't have a phone, and internet is the only way for me to figure out the train schedules and maps around the city.

Of other things I've figured out, washing machines are surprisingly expensive. I expected a bed to be expensive though. I suppose I may sleep on a futon and roll it up for a while until I get out somewhere to buy a bed.

I'm off to go be moderately productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment