Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Some More Basics

So I arrive in Japan September 9. As of right now, that's 48 days away. You know, that sounds like a long time right now. I keep telling myself, "Oh, I have over a month. I don't need to worry about all that little stuff right now. I can do it later." But I've been telling myself that for months now, and it has just sort of sunk in recently that maybe I should really do some of those things.

At the top of my list right now is to acquire that Certificate of Eligibility from Ritsumeikan. Basically, this is how the visa process works for students. First, you must apply to your university and get accepted into the program. After that happens, you will be required to fill out more paperwork to help with placement inside the program and to help you sort out housing and such. Once you have given them more information, they will then either ask for you to or apply for a Certificate of Eligibility for you themselves. From what I understand, this paperwork basically states that you are a valid student at this university. Without it, you cannot get a student visa. If you even try to get a visa without this, then you will be asked to apply for one first, which will take months. With the certificate, it will only take a week max. So, currently I'm in limbo, just waiting for this certificate to arrive. Once it is, I'm planning to mail it to my local embassy to get my visa, but I'll be honest now. The waiting game is very nerve-racking.

Another important thing is to have a valid form of identification on you at all times. Since I don't really want to carry around my passport the entire time, I'm planning to apply for an International Driver's Permit. This can be acquired at AAA offices as well as online. Basically, these state your information in multiple different languages. They are accepted around the world, and they allow you yes, to drive, but more importantly, they serve as a form of state identification. When you are carrying one of these, you are required to also have your valid mother country's license on you as well, but in my opinion, this is much less stressful than carrying around a passport.

I still have to figure out the phone service issue as well. Although we will go over this in orientation, it will be almost two weeks before I have a phone if I wait that long. I'm not going to say I'm attached to my phone, but it is a nice thing to have, especially in a country that you do not know your way around.

Finally, I'm making the final rounds to doctor's offices and the like for annual check-ups. This way I'll know that I'm set before I go abroad.

Anyway, it is getting late, so I'll leave this post here. Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment