Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

International Driver's Permit

T-41 days until I leave for Japan. I admit I'm excited to leave, but I feel like I really have to start cracking down on studying now. With the sunny 102 degree weather here though, it's been a little tough to maintain my original goal of studying every day. Hopefully, I'll at least be at the level I should be though when I get there if I manage to focus.

I got my International Driver's Permit the other day. These things are really cool. They're valid in a ton of countries; they're just not valid in the country you get them in. Basically, how it works is you carry this permit along with your normal driver's license and it serves as a form of state id. It's much better than carrying you passport in my opinion. You can get them at any AAA store, or you can do it online if you mail a couple passport photos to them. They just take the information of your normal driver's license, and the location where you'll be going (if you know yet), and within 10 minutes, it's in front of you, stamped and everything. Spiffy if I do say so myself. I did think it would be a card though. It's actually more of a little booklet. It's about the same size as a passport honestly, but probably much less valuable. It doesn't cost much at all either, like 15-20 bucks. It's definitely worth the price.

The certificate from Rits should be coming soon. When that arrives, I'll be applying to the Japanese embassy for my visa. That will all be done soon hopefully.

Rits allows me to ship a package to them as long as it arrives after I'm already in Japan, so I'm thinking I'm going to go find me a box or a suitcase to mail things in. That sounds nice, less to carry (aka winter-clothes). That way, when I travel, all I'm carrying are my summer clothes and some essentials.

Other students from my university are also getting ready to head off. We have people going to Kansai Gaidai (Osaka, Japan) relatively soon. If you notice on the right side, you'll see a blog called Hootenanny, Japan! This blog is written by one of my friends heading over to the aforementioned school. Check it out. She'll be updating soon, and it will give some of you something to look at.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment