Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Earthquake 9

Kyoto is still fine. Kansai is still fine. I'm aware of the 50 m radius that the US State Department has recommended people to evacuate from, but Kyoto is nowhere near that. Not even Sendai, which is in the Touhoku region, is in that. That includes parts of Yokohama, Tokyo, Nagoya, etc. We are still fine here.

University e-mailed me today recommending students should "strongly consider" coming home, but they linked to that link, though I'm wondering if they read it themselves. Since I'm personally several HUNDRED miles away, it's more than a little irritating. I'll continue to stay here where I'm safe.

Of course, I'm not being foolish. I've checked every news site known to man (that I consider reliable) and have re-registered with the State Dept (since they seem to have lost my info the first time) and am swamped with news media. No worries there. This is of course an informed decision, and it will continue to be so.

For a quick update to all those concerned:
Kansai cannot devote power to Kantou. This is because the Kansai region is on a 50 watt German system while the Tokyo region is on a 60 watt American system. There are places which can convert power, but it's only around 1,000 watts a day.
I still expect us to get some power rationing though since we've been urged to not use too much.

Management of the plant might be turn more toward American forces. TEPCO and the SDF are still trying their best.

Again, everything is fine here. Thank you for worrying about me, and please stay away from the sensational journalism that is causing unnecessary panic.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment