Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Of News

So I decided it's time to change the blog titles, or people will never be able to navigate anything later.

I woke up this morning and for the first time since the quake hit, Japan was not on the front page of every English paper. This means either that Japan has ceased to provide interesting news to the rest of the world or bigger news has come along. Today, it was entirely focused on Libya again. I actually had to go to Japanese newspapers to learn anything. And it looks like things are still improving. The recovery process is slow, but starting soon, houses will be built for those displaced by the quake and tsunami.

In bad news, trace amounts of radiation were found in some spinach and milk from the Fukushima region. In the good news, the radiation that was found is not harmful to people. To give people an idea of this, you would receive far more radiation on the plane flight overseas than you would in what is currently being detected. Obviously, caution continues though.

I found something that should never be shared in polite conversation the other day, but something that I think is still somewhat cute. This is how Japan is explaining the nuclear crisis to its children. Nuclear Boy

If you didn't appreciate that, go to the Prayforjapan.jp link on the right. It will make you cry instead.

Today CNET featured a completely absurd article just for the record. Which was, "Where are the Robots in Japan's Nuclear Crisis?" I'm not even joking. It was the most bogus article I've ever read. It basically amounted to "Japan is a high-tech society. We've seen that they have robots in the past. They should use robots to fix the nuclear reactors." No, CNET, no. Not you too. Don't make up things just because you have stereotypes of another country. It's not accurate, and it's definitely not news.

I sent off another friend last night with some karaoke. To Laura, I'll miss you dearly. You better come back to Japan, and if not, I'll see you in the future either in Japan, the States, or Ireland!

My friends made fun of me of course because we took a cab home, and I made friends with the taxi driver. I can't do the whole sit quietly in the cab thing. It's awkward. You're like a foot apart. You should make conversation. Imagine, all he does is sit in his cab all day and everyone else ignores him. Do your duty, blame it on being foreign if you have to, but at least cheer up his day.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment